What is LFS anyway?

Don Smith dss-lfs at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 11 08:03:36 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2004, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>

>>One more point here is that our user should not need to reboot into his
>>base distro once he built LFS. He should be able to read further
>>instructions online and download packages.
>>

>  I like the sentiment, but the best way to get there is to make sure
> users plan ahead and download what they need/want from BLFS
>

>>This does mean that we should have a dhcp client, pppd and lynx in LFS.
>>

>  -1 here.  I use lynx, it's a handy way to confirm that networking is
> working, but then why not use links ?  As for dhcp and pppd, I have a
> dhcp client on exactly one of my machines (the firewall), and I don't
> think the LFS book needs to take sides over /which/ client, and I have
> pppd on one (my laptop). My other boxes have no business with these.
>
>  Ensuring the machine can be used to compile future software is one
> thing (e.g. allowing usb keyboards to work).  Suggesting that everybody
> /ought/ to build specific extras is quite another.
>
> Ken

I have to agree completely with Ken here. BTW, people are moving away
from dialup to always on connections and therefore will never need pppd.
I do not believe 99% of the people need pppd. Also many people do not
need dhcp (I personally have a router/firewall that does dhcp for me).

LFS is not a distribution and I don't belive it was ever intended to be
a fully functional internet machine. It is a base of packages needed to
build a large variety of system types. Don't forget that many people
build servers with LFS and don't want all these client programs on their
server.

I believe the most useful way to look at LFS is as a build system. Its
sole purpose is to build software packages and only things necessary for
this purpose should be included. If you want more then go to BLFS and
build the system you want. The end point of your system is not pure LFS
but a BLFS system built on the LFS base.

Don