What is LFS anyway?

bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 11 09:46:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:03:36AM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
> I have to agree completely with Ken here. BTW, people are moving away
> from dialup to always on connections and therefore will never need pppd.

Unless, of course, that always-on connection is DSL.  In which case,
they'll need pppd for PPPoE.

But even with that, I don't personally think that either pppd or dhcpcd
(or whatever DHCP client) is necessary in the base book.  I think the
best idea is a note like the one in Jeroen's post and the Wiki -- tell
the user that we only build support for a static IP, and if they need
something else, to look at BLFS.