LFS-5.1-pre2 glibc

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 11 10:51:57 PDT 2004

 OK, 5.1-pre2 looks almost good enough here (on ppc).  The problem is
with firefox, it works fairly intermittently (i.e. very
slow/intermittent page resolution, even from mozilla.org - although
cancelling, opening a local file, then hitting the back button did
give me the page instantaneously on one occasion) and crashes easily
(although not repeatably).

 Previous similar problems with firefox got blamed on glibc after a
later version (-lfs-rc1)worked fine.

 For those who care, abiword and gnumeric are working tolerably
(reverted to X.org from end of February after problems documented in the
blfs-support archives, and using a miniml gnome-2.4).  If it wasn't for
firefox I'd discount the errors reported in glibc's make check.

 I think I'm going to look at what are probably /my/ errors with the
locales next (unless Ryan actually gets his better glibc out of the
door).

 My testing on i686 continues, due to various luser errors which only
showed up in my version of the "iterative comparison analysis", and
is unlikely to complete this week.

Ken