What is LFS anyway?

bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue May 11 11:51:54 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:13:09PM -0400, Zack Winkles wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:46:46PM -0400, bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net wrote:
> > Unless, of course, that always-on connection is DSL.  In which case,
> > they'll need pppd for PPPoE.
>
> I'm using DSL, and I don't have pppd anywhere on my system.  Personally,
> I use dhcpcd, but I could still connect with *nothing* but what's in the
> book.

OK, let me amend that:

"Unless, of course, that always-on connection is DSL and their provider
uses PPPoE.  <...>"

I thought that most DSL providers used PPPoE; I know mine does.  I
didn't think you could do DHCP over DSL directly, but maybe I'm wrong.
Or do you have a DSL router handling the outgoing connection and handing
out DHCP leases to your internal machines?

Anyway, doesn't matter a whole ton; my main point was to voice agreement
with what Jeroen said in his post and on the Wiki (which you seem to
also agree with, at least mostly).