What is LFS anyway?

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 12:22:44 PDT 2004

Jerry Gaiser wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 11:49, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>>Careful there...
>>>
>>>The penetration of broadband in the US is something like 40%. There's
>>>still a *lot* of folks accessing the internet via good old copper and
>>>modems.
>>>

>>That stat includes users who don't use Linux, and probably will not in
>>the near future. I suspect most  LFSers are on a always-on connection
>>with a firewall/router. Would be interesting to get a count of that.
>>

>I get very defensive about the broadband/modem connection issue. As
>someone who sits at the end of *many* miles of crappy copper and who
>suspects that there a lot of other linux users in the same boat.

No need to get defensive, am not advocating removal of ppp and other
networking stuff from the book :)

I am just curious what % of LFSers:

    * do not have an always on connection.
    * do not have a firewall/router setup.

>So count 1 full-time Linux user who really needs pppd.

See, you are still not a full-time LFSer, so you are validating my
observation ;-)

I made the observation coz without a broadband connection, maintaining a
LFS system as the primary system is slightly difficult. Personally if I
did not have broadband, I would have probably installed a released
version of LFS once or twice for educational stuff and then probably
gone back to a distro.

CCing lfs-chat where this belongs now. Please reply to that list.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar