Guiding Principles (Repost)

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Tue May 11 12:44:45 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Larry Lawrence said the following on 11-05-2004 15:15:
>
>> I've been scanning these post over the last couple of days and was
>> beginning
>> to wonder if anyone had every read the introduction!  This book did
>> not get
>> slapped together last year, it has been in development for many years
>> -- it
>> knows what its principals are.  I find it interesting that some
>> discussion
>> is about changing the principles, not fulfilling the principles.
>

> I've read the introduction and it doesn't explain what you're saying.
> The preface does, as does the audience page. It is not a bad thin, in
> absence of vision and leadership, to re-evaluate the principles of the
> book. I know I have reached a better understanding of LFS because of it,
> even though I'm involved for at least 4 yours. I'd like to think of this
> discussion as formalising of the principles, rather then changing them.
>
> That said, I found the preface/audience inadequeate in explaining these
> principles and have started rewriting it at
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=WhatIsLFS

<snip>

Although I'm not a voiceful member of the lfs-community, I have been
monitoring the list for quite some time and I really have to say here
that this is an outstanding piece of work Jeroen! It's really how I
always understood what LFS was all about, when I first started it.
I also agree with Larry that Gerard should have the last word about this
text. LFS is still his baby and although this text doesn't really change
the scope of the book but just expands the explanation (IMO), Gerard
might think something else.

my 2cents

Jochen