Guiding Principles (Repost) [Nitpicks]

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Tue May 11 13:29:10 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 9:06 AM, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

Some really good stuff!

Jeroen, please look at this in the spirit of me trying to be
helpful.

> Control:
> All packages are installed from source, which means that you always know
> exactly what packages are installed and what version is installed. You
> have complete control over his system and even has the choice of several
> package management systems to automate his system. With LFS, you are in
> the driver's seat and dictate every aspect of your system, such as the
> directory layout and bootscript setup. You also dictate where, why and
> how programs are installed.

This paragraph shifts from 2nd person to 3rd person in mid-
sentence.

> Compact:
> Because LFS provides only the minimum base packages required for a
> functioning (though not necessarily very usable) system, it is very
> compact. Only software which the reader chooses gets installed, thus the
> tightest possible installation is possible, allowing a very minimalistic
> system even suitable for USB drives.

The reader chooses to install only the software he wishes,

seems to read smoother than the other clause.

> Security:
> An LFS box can be built by using the latest releases of software. No
                          ^^omit
> more waiting for distro's patches! Since you an LFS system is compact
                                           ^^^omit
> and you're in complete control, it is also much more secure then other
> distro's. No unneeded and unknown servers are running unless you install
> them!

This sounds like the reader installs unneeded and unknown
servers!

You may want to clarify this with something like:

You install only known and necessary servers!

> The primary focus in LFS is on learning about the system. We believe you
> learn the most by following the procedures outlined in the book. These
> procedures are well-tested and are technically excellent. Beware that a
> finished LFS system doesn't mean that your system is finished. You'll
> very likely want to install additional packages, and you'll have to do
> some planning in advance if you wish to replace your current Linux
> system. The LFS book is much like a blueprint of your house which allows
> you to build a solid foundation upon which any kind of house can be
> built - a terminal, a desktop system, a server, a (router), etc. In
> order to allow all these systems, LFS is both generic and
> quite minimal.

I'm not fond of the hamburger analogy either. However, I believe
you could define your analogies used in your other post better
also. The current paragraph is perfect, just change the stuff
you wrote in the other post, should you include any of that.

An airport and a military camp are not houses. But you could
switch "house" with "building" and then "prison" for "military
camp" and "something_with_high_traffic" (can't think of anything
right off-hand) for "airport"

> After you've finished the LFS book, you'll probably want to check out
> the BLFS project for instructions on how to build a finished system.
                                            custom?   ^^^^^^^^

> The goals of the LFS book are thus to build a system from scratch. To
                                ^^^^to provide instructions
> allow the dual goal of education and building a framework for your own
> system, we have set the following principles to compose the package set
> which will be installed:

> *) Basic networking means different things to different people.
> Considering the objectives for LFS and BLFS, we only provide
> configuration for a static IP address. This nicely fits our paradigm of
> configuring all packages we install without fragmenting the book.
> Practically, this means that most people won't be able to connect to the
                               ^^^^many accomplishes the same thing,
but without including so many folks in the negative aspect of not
being able to connect.

> Internet with a basic LFS system. Since the means to connectivity vary
> so much for different users, you'll have to refer to the BLFS book for
> instructions on how to achieve this. If you wish to replace your current
> Linux system, please consider this in your migration plan.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, Jeroen. I think it's
excellent. Again, just trying to be helpful.

Regards,
Randy