What is LFS anyway?

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed May 12 01:42:58 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Jeremy Utley said the following on 12-05-2004 09:43:
>

>> Actually, what I think is going to end up happening is somewhere in
>> the final chapter, just before we say reboot, we're going to talk in
>> the book briefly about packages you MIGHT want to install before
>> that first reboot, so things such as dhcp, pppd, wget, lynx, and the
>> like.  Not give instructions, but give pointers to things that might
>> be useful, and let people know that they can also be installed while
>> still chrooted, because not everyone understands that (I know I sure
>> didn't on my first builds).
>

> This is definitely a good compromise!

I thought so too.  I just remember when I was first starting out in LFS,
I had no clue about doing things like that, so I did that first reboot,
then went to download additional software, and found out I had no
way of doing so.  If we make a note of just what they get when LFS is
complete, and offer a few suggestions as to what else from BLFS might be
useful, it would be a great aid to those first time LFSers.

-J-