My plans

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Wed May 12 08:17:37 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have some relatively free time now, and I have the following plans
concerning my future CVS commits. Please comment and prioritize them
(with P1-P5), so that the best ones are done the first, and bad ones are
rejected right now.

1) On "man pages" page in Chapter 6, tell the reader that a package of
manual pages translated in his language can exist and can usually be
found using the Freshmeat search engine. The localized manual pages
should be installed in /usr/share/man/<two-letter language
code>/man1,... man9/. Rationale: I am the i18n editor.

2) Add sysklogd-1.4.1-signal-1.patch into b5_1 (if Mattew permits).
Rationale: the bug is present in 5.1 and reproducible by running
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd restart" from a terminal emulator (such as
xterm) on a fast machine.

3) Add sysvinit-1.85-proclen-1.patch (optional?) into HEAD and b6_0.
Ratilnale: people who build bootable CDs don't know that it's sysvinit
who clobbers the TERM variable set by kernel when initrd is in use.

4) Discuss the policy of multibyte character set support in CVS HEAD. Poll:

   A) Fully support 8-bit character sets, do not attempt to provide any
support for multibyte character sets except the patches project and
hints. That's what I already implemented.
   B) Fully support 8-bit character sets, tell the user that multibyte
character sets are strongly not recommended for use in LFS, but in fact
provide partial support by fixing fixable problems. Note that I cannot
mark multibyte character sets as fully supported in LFS, even with all
my patches.

5) If the majority votes for (B), add optional patches for sysklogd (if
nobody puts syslog-ng into the book) and grep for use in UTF-8 locales
to CVS HEAD. Also discuss whether we want a libncursesw.so.5.4 library.

6) Add a note about pppd, dhcpcd and lynx --- or is a new chapter called
"Optional software" somewhere in the end better?

7) Submit a hotplug patch for use in LFS book. Rationale: almost
everyone voted for hotplug in LFS, and I am the author of the Hardware
Detection Hint that deals with hotplug.

8) Add some udev-specific notes about building the kernel to HEAD and
b6_0. Explain what works and what does not work in /etc/modprobe.conf
with udev as compared  to static /dev. Rationale: lack of documentation
in other places, and the usual "alias sound-slot-0 snd-fm801" does not
work anymore with udev.

9) If Nathan adds Zack's "modules" script to the official tarball, I
will document it.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .