[Proposal] Using install in place of mkdir/cp

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 12 10:41:53 PDT 2004

It has been suggested to replace mkdir/chown and cp/chown with
install -m (perms). Granted, this is by no means a big deal, but it
does lessen the commands typed, as well as teaching the use of
another utility. Tush even hinted at it being safer in some cases, but
he will have to elaborate on that.

Please post comments.

--
Archaic

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We
hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of
the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of
America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by
exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the
consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by
denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it

- James Madison.