[Proposal] Using install in place of mkdir/cp

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed May 12 11:01:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:53:49PM +0200, Roel Neefs wrote:

> imho, it only makes it less clear, with an mkdir you at least know what
> it will do, who knows what install does. If there's a nice tool as
> mkdir to make dirs, then i don't see a reason to use something else
> that can also make dirs.

Fair enough, but what about cp? Look at Makefiles and you'll see that
mkdir and cp are often replaced with install. There may even be some
deep down rationale behind it. I don't know, but the idea of adding a
new command to teach seems reasonable. Many people may not even know
install can make dirs (and set owner and perms all in one command).

--
Archaic

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it
be left to irresponsible action."

- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790