[Proposal] Using install in place of mkdir/cp

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed May 12 11:18:29 PDT 2004

Archaic wrote:

>On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:53:49PM +0200, Roel Neefs wrote:
>

>>imho, it only makes it less clear, with an mkdir you at least know what
>>it will do, who knows what install does. If there's a nice tool as
>>mkdir to make dirs, then i don't see a reason to use something else
>>that can also make dirs.
>>

>Fair enough, but what about cp? Look at Makefiles and you'll see that
>mkdir and cp are often replaced with install. There may even be some
>deep down rationale behind it. I don't know, but the idea of adding a
>new command to teach seems reasonable. Many people may not even know
>install can make dirs (and set owner and perms all in one command).

As I understand it, the install command is used by makefiles because it
doesn't unlink the old
copy at that time, so if a process happens to be running using that
file, it can continue.  At the
time we do this, there's not going to be that issue.

This is just my understanding, and may or may not be fact.

-J-