[Proposal] Using install in place of mkdir/cp

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed May 12 13:18:41 PDT 2004

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:01, Archaic wrote:
>

>>On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:53:49PM +0200, Roel Neefs wrote:
>>

>>>imho, it only makes it less clear, with an mkdir you at least know what
>>>it will do, who knows what install does. If there's a nice tool as
>>>mkdir to make dirs, then i don't see a reason to use something else
>>>that can also make dirs.
>>>

>>Fair enough, but what about cp? Look at Makefiles and you'll see that
>>mkdir and cp are often replaced with install. There may even be some
>>deep down rationale behind it. I don't know, but the idea of adding a
>>new command to teach seems reasonable. Many people may not even know
>>install can make dirs (and set owner and perms all in one command).
>>

>It's because not all systems version of mkdir (mainly those old ones who
>only give a passing thought to POSIX) work the same way.  Install gets
>added to the system very early on, I don't see any reason not to use
>it.  People those who need instruction on how to use mkdir should
>probably be consulting a basic UNIX tutorial, since they /all/ explain
>the basics of file and directory manipulation.

But, in the case we're talking about right now, mkdir is a KNOWN entity
(we installed it ourselves
in chapter 5).  I kind of like the educational value of the use of
install, personally, but other than that,
we don't gain anything, and actually make the creating directories stage
more complex, because
of the need to special case 3 directories.

-J-