[Proposal] Using install in place of mkdir/cp

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed May 12 16:18:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:07:15PM -0500, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> It's because not all systems version of mkdir (mainly those old ones who
> only give a passing thought to POSIX) work the same way.  Install gets
> added to the system very early on, I don't see any reason not to use
> it.  People those who need instruction on how to use mkdir should
> probably be consulting a basic UNIX tutorial, since they /all/ explain
> the basics of file and directory manipulation.

Agreed. Someone not knowing mkdir and trying LFS is scary whereas
install is a little less common, but can be used in more powerful ways.
Either way, the proposal does not mean all mkdir/cp operations must be
changed, but anything that would get overwritten by reinstalling a
package, or anything that needs an extra command just to chown/chmod it
can benefit from install. (BTW, this also means touch/chmod can be
reduced to one operation).

--
Archaic

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it
be left to irresponsible action."

- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790