Splitting LFS and BLFS Bootscripts [Was Re: Package updates for 5.1 release]

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Wed May 12 17:10:31 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

>Archaic wrote:
>

>>Nathan and Jeremy did wonderful work on updating the bootscripts and
>>giving it new functionality. With all this functionality, is there not a
>>method of splitting the LFS from the BLFS? This looks like it could be
>>an eternally nagging problem. I see both sides and have no real affinity
>>for either. LFS is in freeze. BLFS wants to be consistant. Splitting the
>>scripts seems the most likely long-term solution. Afterall, no matter
>>how the scripts are packaged, BLFS scripts have always relied on LFS,
>>but we never had to bundle them together before and things worked out
>>okay.
>>

>I was going to propose to move the blfs portion of the scripts over to
>BLFS cvs. Then the BLFS editors could edit the scripts as and when the
>book is changed and also make a release as and when needed.
>
>Another thing I was going to propose is to use the same versioning
>scheme for lfs-bootscripts as the book. That is LFS-6.0 would use
>lfs-bootscripts-6.0 and BLFS-6.0 would use blfs-bootscripts-6.0.

If that's what you want, no problems.  How will you handle changes we
make in the core LFS stuff that
affects the BLFS scripts as well (such as the soon to be ready handling
of PIDFILE to kill parent processes
of daemons that spawn multiple processes)?  Take cues from us?

At any rate, Nathan and myself can help you guys to start things off, if
you want.

-J-