My plans

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 13 06:53:50 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> How do the gcc guys branch with just pieces of the source - everything
> I've read of the CVS
> docs say you branch from a certain tag-point in HEAD.

Right, that is how branching in CVS works. It's possible that they have
their tree broken up into individual modules, though, in which case they
could branch only parts of the tree.

However, it is possible to apply CVS branch tags to only specifically
listed files, instead of the entire tree. I have no idea if this would
actually be practical, because I assume (haven't tested) that a checkout
of the branch would get only those files and that would not be very useful.