Setting console font with new console script in lfs-bootscripts (useful for more than i18n)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu May 13 09:14:54 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Conversely: is there any reason I should actually set a font? On my old
> RH systems lat0-sun16 was being used; the closest I can find in the
> current (modern) fonts is lat9w-16, which seems to work fine as well. Am
> I setting myself up for any trouble by just setting this font and not
> making any other i18n-related settings?

 Setting a font is useful to see non-English characters, particularly in
email.  Unfortunately, not everybody uses the same encodings. Latin{0,9}
are essentially the same encodings and should suit most West-Europeans.
All the font does is alter how bytes are displayed, I haven't yet found
a need to set other i18n settings (but then the sort of desktop
applications where it might matter seem to ignore environment
variables).

Ken