Building kernel

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 14 07:57:36 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> This applies only to point (4). Yes, it has to be reformulated, but
> something should stay there to prevent LFSers from trying such aliases.
> And hotplug does NOT load the "loop" module, so point (3) will be still
> valid.

That is true. I think if we are going to put this sort of text into the
book we should follow the kernel developers' lead and strongly
discourage the use of modules when they are not needed. Personally I
have never been able to understand the point of building hardware
drivers as modules for hardware that is always plugged in to the system,
or modules for things that are not even hardware (like the loop driver
you mention). I don't even know what the value of building modules for
sometimes-connected hardware is, if all you are saving is a small amount
of kernel memory.

Granted, there are a few cases where modules are necessary: binary-only
drivers, modules that allow for different behavior than when built in
(which is being corrected by the kernel developers), etc.