Building kernel

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri May 14 08:58:56 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>>> Granted, there are a few cases where modules are necessary:
>>> binary-only drivers, modules that allow for different behavior than
>>> when built in (which is being corrected by the kernel developers), etc.
>>

>> Hotplug does not work 100% correctly when ?hci-hcd is a module
>

> Right, which goes back to my point: what is the value of building your
> USB HC drivers as modules? Are you going to be adding/removing HCs while
> your system is running? If not, then they should just be compiled into
> the kernel.

When they are compiled into the kernel, the hotplug package sends
synthetic hotplug events for USB devices, and they are not full-blown
(the DEVICE env variable is missing). When uhci-hcd is a module, it gets
detected by pci.rc and the kernel sends real full-blown USB hotplug events.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .