MAKEDEV script, lfs 5.1 pre2

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu
Fri May 14 17:09:14 PDT 2004

Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:46:41 -0500 Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

>>I didn't say it wasn't documented in the script. It obviously is.  Its
>>still not documented in the *book*.
>

> The script is part of the book. It's MANDATORY reading material. If you
> build LFS without reading this script you're not doing it properly. It's
> like copy'n'pasting all the commands without reading the text. So there's
> no need to repeat the information from the script in the book, because
> anyone who builds LFS *by the book* will read the script.
> And people who don't build by the book won't benefit from redundant
> information in the book, because they'll just ignore it.

Why then do we explain all the patches in the book?  A user should be able
to read the patches and figure it out for himself.

Remember too that there are multiple audiences for the book.  First time
readers will need to read everything.  Users re-reading the book to do an
update will often skip reading familiar things, including scripts embedded
in an external compressed package.  Changing a script and not telling the
experienced user how a change may affect him is doing a disservice.  Sure,
an experienced user will be able to recover, but it will be an irritant
that doesn't need to happen.

Please also realize that we are discussing one or two sentences of
additional explaination here.  It really shouldn't be that big a deal.

   -- Bruce