CVS structure clarification/documentation

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri May 14 22:30:38 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Also, if parallel BE development is needed, I think the following model
> allows more flexibility without having to post detailed documents about
> the changes.
>
> |-- HEAD (Testing)
> |
> |-- BELFS1 (GCC-3.4.x)
> |
> |-- BELFS2 (Linux-2.6.x)
> |
> |-- BELFS3 (Extra Pure-LFS)

Without getting into the specifics of the branch names presented here,
this idea is exactly what prompted the SCM research project. A number of
  us feel that an SCM that makes this sort of branching/merging easy to
do will greatly ease management of what goes into HEAD and subsequently
gets pulled out into Testing. Unfortunately CVS makes it fairly easy to
branch, but not so easy to merge branches together, and definitely not
easy to make a temporary branch combining other branches for evaluation
purposes (i.e. if the above example existed, it would be nice to be able
to test the GCC-3.4.x branch and the Linux-2.6.x branch together).

A number of people signed up for the SCM testing mailing list, but
nothing has really happened yet. Involvement from more interested
parties is certainly welcome.