Attitude on the LFS lists.

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat May 15 03:38:46 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 12:15:26PM +0200, Ronald Hummelink wrote:

> You make it sound like no change at all is the only acceptable thing,
> please don't shut the discussion down before it starts.

No, just trying to be rational instead of reactionary.

> For example Requiring a valid email address to post to the lists is not
> Evil, it stops anonymous posting; people tend to be a whole lot less
> unfriendly when you can point who they are.

I've been around here for 3 years and can say emphatically that
malicious anonymous posting is an exception and not a rule (auto
generated spam not included). As such, reaction to something seen very
rarely can be seen to be worse than the action it is reacting to. Some
people have a legitimate concern when it comes to mangling their email
address and your proposal limits many at all times to avoid the rare
situation of one malicious anonymous poster.

> As a matter of fact yes, i had the thing read by someone else before
> posting.

Wow. I wish I had such a luxury. Maybe my foot wouldn't be in my mouth
as much. :)

--
Archaic

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best
state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one;
for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries *by a
government*, which we might expect in a country *without government*,
our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by
which we suffer."

- Thomas Paine