What is LFS anyway?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Sat May 15 04:06:30 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Steve Prior wrote:

> Jon wrote:
> > Why can there not be an option as to which to install? [...]

> There is exactly that option - it's called BLFS.
>
> Personally I like where the LFS book leaves you off (though not for long
> once you look at BLFS, so maybe it's more of a hand off).  I've taken
> great delight at telling some folks that LFS makes a great base for a
> secure firewall system - no services to hack at all, all you need is
> iptables manipulation software.
>
> I don't think PPP should be in LFS - no assumptions should be made about
> how (or even if) the machine will be networked.

Generally I agree, but we easily accommodate both views if the stuff
beyond "base" (which must be properly decided) is segregated from all
the other stuff and has introductory text like "... depending on what
your goal for the platform is, you may install one of more of these
...".

> Steve

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet