Next XML changes

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Sat May 15 04:31:09 PDT 2004

Archaic said the following on 15-05-2004 12:54:

> In the case of fonts, determination should be on liklihood that such
> font is present. As far as the commands, I agree they are too big and
> also courier is the defacto standard for fixed width text. Please don't

For regular font, the default is now:
font-family: "Bitstream Vera Sans", "Luxi Sans", "Lucida Sans", "Lucida
Grande", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

For monospaced font, the order is now:
"Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Luxi Mono", "Lucida Console", "Courier
New", courier, monospace;

Determination is indeed on the likelihood that it's present, and if not,
the browsers default fonts will be chosen.

IMHO, the commands are sufficiently important to make them slightly
bigger then the rest of the text. But since they're already in different
fonttype, different background and border around it, I'll concede :-)

> change it. Finally, wasn't it you that said font issues are a matter of
> personal preference and should be left to the individual? I may be
> missing the point of this exercise, though because I'm sure there are
> many here who simply do not have the time to follow all the
> xml/xsl/xhtml discussions (unfortunately, me included :( ).

That actually was about font size, not font type. The reasoning for
choosing a font type is that while many users have good fonts available,
they won't be taken advantage of unless you configure your browser to
use them by default. IIRC, for Mozilla the default fonttype is "serif",
which usually translates to "Times" (or "Times New Roman", if you've
installed MS Corefonts), which is ugly and not screen-friendly enough
for online reading. Thus, I override the default with the "best" plain
sans-serif fonttypes available for modern systems, falling back to older
common types.
To bring some uniformity of font type in the whole page, I do this for
regular text and for command text.

> It is in Moz-1.6. Wanna test putting "Up" on the top? :)

I don't understand what you mean?

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans