Moving features from HEAD to testing

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat May 15 10:43:00 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 07:26:23PM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Miguel Bazdresch said the following on 15-05-2004 14:53:
> >
> >I don't believe in democracy for resolving technical problems.
>
> Me neither, but I do believe in equal opportunity for everyone to
> comment. Most LFS editors became this because well-founded contributions
> and opinions; we don't want to shut out other people from this proces,
> do we?
>
> Also, the problems are usually much easier when dealing with technical
> problems then with philosophical/ideological problems. For example, how
> can we resolve the current discussion between the "minimalists" and the
> "functionalists"? We can't just let one group seize control; such things
> will have to be worked out on both community as editorial level. This
> means that such a global and far-reaching change of direction in LFS
> (I'm talking about the trend from minimalism to functionalism) should be
> blessed by the community as well as the whole LFS team (this also
> includes BLFS, ALFS, HLFS).

I don't see the desire to include readline as going away from the minimalist
installation - we're adding another library that applications built in LFS
can use.  Now, if it was a case where simply adding readline later in the
build enabled the functionality, I'd be all for leaving it in BLFS - but by
NOT doing it, we're basically forcing our opinion on the user (You don't need
to have external readline), and then reversing ourselves in BLFS (You need it
now).  This I don't like.  When I started LFS, I had NO idea about this, in
fact, I STILL didn't know what I was missing until I became an editor in
LFS - ONLY THEN did I realize.  At the very least, I feel a note of how
our instructions limit functionality should be made.

-J-

> Best thing would be if Gerard could spare the time to return, since he
> still is the "spiritual" leader, but with his baby due anytime now,
> we'll have to work it out ourselves. I hope we can do it without
> casualties... :-)

Keep discussions civil, and there won't be a problem.  If personal attacks
start (and yes, there have been a few already), people will leave the project
over it.

-J-