Attitude on the LFS lists.

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sat May 15 10:53:21 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 10:28:45AM -0500, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Ronald Hummelink wrote:
>
> >It is becoming more and more frequent: developers on these lists get
> >flamed off, called names and what not things you don't even wish your
> >enemies.
> >

> One post from an AC (well actually not so AC since most of the dev guys
> do know who he is) and you deduce that it has become more frequent?

Not just one - there have been quite a few incidents of personal attacks
recently, or at least things that came across as personal attacks.

> >As of today some guy appears posting anonymously trough the news gateway
> >and rudely tells off a dev. It appears even as if this guy knows the
> >community much much better then the posting history seems to indicate;
> >Like if he comes here to piss off devs personally!
> >
> >THERE HAS TO BE PUT A STOP ON THIS!
> >
> >Unless there is a way found to help our devs against this, this will
> >cause we loose them.
> >

> I know of no developers who quit because they were flamed by some
> anyonymous guy!

Maybe they're just seriously considering it, and haven't made it public.
Not everyone likes dealing with constant argument, and people questioning
everything they do for the project.

> >If you don't like someone, count to 10, hit the delete button, don't
> >yell.
> >

> Exactly what you could have done ;-) Why would you expect an AC, whose
> only job is to "piss of devs", to heed the advice?

Ronald's post was NOT shoot from the hip, it's a well-reasoned email, not
doesn't flame anyone.  Personally, it's kind of nice to have someone actually
willing to DEFEND the development team, instead of question everything they
do.

And also, I'd like this community to remember one thing.  JUST because someone
decides to go off and do something different, it doesn't mean they are forking
the book.  When I first did BE-LFS, that was the accusation I faced repeatedly,
when I had absolutely no intention of doing so.  LFS was stagnant, and under
the development model then in place (needing community agreement on every
little change), it couldn't go forward.  So the change was made, and the work
that Zack, Jason, and myself did was brought back into the project, and HEAD
was declared the playground.  But, we're STILL limited in what we can do,
because it seems people do NOT want to experiment with new things, instead
want to stay with the same old stuff.  What is a person like me or Zack, who
really want to play with this stuff, and help OTHERS to play with this stuff,
supposed to do BUT take things outside the project?

-J-