Guiding Principles (Repost)

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Sat May 15 22:54:25 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Btw, after all the recent posts, I think you all need a big note of
> appreciation and encouragement.  Everyone who has contributed to this
> project, IMO, has helped to make something very awesome.  For myself,
> the time I have spent trying to learn and understand Linux, mostly from
> online sources, has been often frustrating.  When I came across your
> site, it was like I hit an oasis.  (Yeah, it sounds a bit cheesy, but
> that's what it felt like.) LFS is different than the majority of stuff
> out there.  For starters the book is authoritative - you know what you
> are doing, and why you are doing it, and it shows.  Secondly, it is
> well written so that it is easy to follow and understand - there's
> almost always an accompanying explanation to show why something is
> being done a certain way.  Thirdly, the fact that it's you, a variety
> of people, with a variety of skills, all freely helping because you
> *love* LFS and what it's all about.  Of course, if you're reading this,
> you know all this stuff already.  But I think you needed to hear it
> again.
> You guys are doing awesome.  Keep up the good work.

Jeremy might be new here, but I'm not (#207).  Every word he wrote is true.

It applies equally to those on both sides of the various arguments.

Never forget that without LFS people would need to be technically
brilliant, and have enormous time budgets, to understand how Linux
works.  But just by following the LFS and BLFS books they can become
well informed and effective.  It's a prize worth putting up with a
little personal discomfort for.

Be grateful we live in time when such great international projects are
possible.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/