Next XML changes

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 17 04:28:15 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban said the following on 17-05-2004 03:47:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> You're actually the first which I've ever heard complain about the
>> setting of a font-type. Are you the exception to the rule?
>

> Exception, maybe, but he's not the only person who doesn't like that
> particular font.  Anti-aliasing fonts has always (in my view) made them
> *less* readable, because they end up getting a lot bigger.  Prettier,
> yeah maybe, but in my mind, pretty takes a back seat to readability.

Well, that's a user-agent issue which falls outside the scope of the
book rendering. I can not control AA/non-AA with CSS or by specifying a
certain font-type. IIRC, if you set GTK_XFT=0 and QT_XFT=0, both
toolkits will give you non-AA fonts.

<snip>

> I am reminded of what happened when IE's default font size was a few
> settings larger than anybody else's, when page authors started finding
> interesting ways around it (make their default size "-2", specify all
> font sizes absolutely, etc.), but ended up just making their site hard
> on people that *needed* their fonts bigger, or didn't use IE.

Again, UA issue; not in my control. We're not setting any absolute
values here, we're just specifying preferred font types. Everything is
user-overridable.

>> Or should we provide a sensible default rendering while allowing
>> advanced users to plug in their own stylesheet?
>

> Now that's not a bad idea, actually.  I'll have to see if (and how) I
> can override the CSS for only a certain (set of) URL(s)...

Yes, I already asked Manuel to add a specific body id or class to the
renderings, like [body id="lfs" class="testing-20040518"], so you can
target them in your user stylesheet. Eg.

body#lfs { font: 12px/1.2 Helvetica !important; color: #000 !important;
background: #fff !important; }

So, do you agree to keep the font-type in the stylesheet?

> It might even make sense to have an "if you don't like the font" link
> somewhere on the site (or in the book), linking to a couple of
> explanations of how to override CSS in a couple of different browsers.
> Make it a little more obvious, in other words.

Sure; we can create a Wiki page where everybody can contribute his own
user stylesheet.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans