suggestion for "what to do next?" page

Robert R. Russell zoohoo_linux at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 11:01:07 PDT 2004

You have just finished installing everything in the Linux From Scratch
book, but before you reboot into this new system here are some item to
consider.

Connecting to the Internet:

1.	If you use a dialup connection then you may want to consider
installing PPP, a DHCP client, IP-Tables, and <other software used for
dialup access, I don't use it so I don't know what all is required>.

2.	If you use an *DSL connection you may want to consider installing
PPPoE, a DHCP client, IP-Tables, and <other software used for dialup
access, I don't use it so I don't know what all is required>.

3.	If you use a Cable connection you may want to consider installing a
DHCP client and IP-Tables.

4.	If you use a broadband router see if it supports static LAN IP
addresses, the default LFS network configuration will work for you.

Using the Internet:

1.	You may want to install a text only web-browser like Links

2.	You may want to install wget for downloading large batches of files

3.	You may want to install a text only email client or news reader to
contact LFS-support

Other:

1.	You may want to install sshd to allow you to remotely control your
new LFS system

2.	You may want to install gpmd to make following the BLFS books
instructions easier

this is primaly a proposal for what a "What to do next?" page listing
optional packages that might be considered nice to have for starting
BLFS might look like, comments welcome.

--
Robert R. Russell