BuildingKernel

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon May 17 09:11:49 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> My proposal is to consollidate the kernel page and include
> kernel-related packages here. We offer a description of the various
> choices a reader can make and include 1 default installation if
> mandatory (eg. filesystem, devices, etc.). This would mean that some
> packages are not installed until chapter 8; I'm not sure if this is
> possible (dependency-wise) or even recommended, so let's first discuss.

This discussion should start with the the need for instructions on
building the kernel at the start of Chapter 5.

I've been concentrating on 5.1 and have only started to look at 6.0 so I
may be behind here a bit.  I note that the book asks the user to
download and install the 2.6 kernel as the first task in Chapter 5 (Host
System Requirements), but we give no specific instructions on how to do
that.  Much later in Chapter 8 we give specific instructions on building
the kernel.  This seems inconsistent to me.  If we are using the ability
to compile and install linux 2.6 as a prerequsite to starting LFS, I
believe that bar is too high.

  -- Bruce