BuildingKernel

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 17 10:11:40 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs said the following on 17-05-2004 18:11:

> This discussion should start with the the need for instructions on
> building the kernel at the start of Chapter 5.

That's true, I didn't think of that in my proposal. Hmm, there goes my
elaborate scheme to unite the minimalist & functionalist approaches!

(reads the host requirements page)

Ok, those are some pretty steep requirements. Are they really necessary
for LFS-6.0? I see the following possible solutions:

1. maintain 2.6, NPTL, udev host requirements. Provide instructions on
how to upgrade the host. This is unacceptable at the moment.
2. provide alternative instructions for 2.6 hosts. Best of two worlds,
although could lead to user confusion & fragmentation. Also puts
additional burden on editors of having to maintain two sets of instructions.
3. delay udev inclusion for LFS-6.0 and only include it's use is more
widespread.

I heavily favor the third option. We never had such high host
requirements and udev is not widespread or stable enough for inclusion
in testing IMHO.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans