suggestion for "what to do next?" page

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 10:54:10 PDT 2004

Robert R. Russell wrote:

> You have just finished installing everything in the Linux From Scratch
> book, but before you reboot into this new system here are some item to
> consider.
>
> Connecting to the Internet:
>
> 1.    If you use a dialup connection then you may want to consider
> installing PPP, a DHCP client, IP-Tables, and <other software used for
> dialup access, I don't use it so I don't know what all is required>.
>
> 2.    If you use an *DSL connection you may want to consider
> installing PPPoE, a DHCP client, IP-Tables, and <other software used
> for dialup access, I don't use it so I don't know what all is required>.
>
> 3.    If you use a Cable connection you may want to consider
> installing a DHCP client and IP-Tables.
>
> 4.    If you use a broadband router see if it supports static LAN IP
> addresses, the default LFS network configuration will work for you.
>
> Using the Internet:
>
> 1.    You may want to install a text only web-browser like Links
>
> 2.    You may want to install wget for downloading large batches of files
>
> 3.    You may want to install a text only email client or news reader
> to contact LFS-support
>
> Other:
>
> 1.    You may want to install sshd to allow you to remotely control
> your new LFS system
>
> 2.    You may want to install gpmd to make following the BLFS books
> instructions easier
>
> this is primaly a proposal for what a "What to do next?" page listing
> optional packages that might be considered nice to have for starting
> BLFS might look like, comments welcome.

Or something similar to the following (which is short and sweet as well
as makes the user think):

    You have just finished installing everything in the Linux From
    Scratch book, but keep in mind that the functionality may not be
    complete. Before you reboot, depending on your needs, you might want
    to review some relevant chapters from the BLFS Book. In particular,
    you might want to review the sections on "Connecting to the Network"
    and "Basic Networking". You should install the utities that you need
    before you reboot the system.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org