Merge BLFS and LFS? [Was Re: What is LFS anyway?]

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 11:04:14 PDT 2004

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

>-1. I've read all the posts in response, nothing seems to show benefit
>from a merge IMO. The most telling points for me that I saw posted: the
>different goals and the technical capabilities that have come with the
>work of (predominately) Matt and Manuel.
>
>Other considerations that I add to what has been posted:
>1) Harder to manage successfully - the more components, the more
>   difficult to manage correctly (or at all, really). Scheduling gets
>   even more difficult.
>2) As the audiences blend, we get increased traffic not only from the
>   increased number of posters, but a greater diversity of POVs
>   generating ever more diverse desires/needs against a single unified
>   product. Probably some kind of geometric progression involved.
>3) BLFS is relatively free of much of the aggravation seen in LFS - why
>   inflict this on them? Would they stand for it? I don't see why they
>   would.
>4) "Divide and conquer" has been a longstanding successful strategy for
>    many types of work for a good reason. For a project like *LFS, it
>    seems even more necessary. Mostly because of the still differing
>    goals and strategies employed by each project. And let's not forget
>    ALFS and HLFS which also have different goals and strategies.
>
>As to assessments of what the user community wants, keep in mind that
>there are in excess of 12,000 (IIRC) registered LFSers. Most are silent.
>The opinions seen represent a smaller, more active set of folks. It is
>difficult to keep on target if the target is mostly silent.

For the record I am also not in favor of the merge mainly because of the
differing goals of the projects. But with the repeated discussions of
moving stuff from BLFS to LFS, or putting stuff that nicely belongs in
BLFS into LFS, I put out the proposal.

I remember a post that anything that can be done during chroot should be
in LFS, but if that approach is applied most of the BLFS stuff can be
compiled in the chroot environment!

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org