Next XML changes

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Mon May 17 11:34:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 01:06:45PM -0400, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> I can't speak for Archaic, but personally, I think if you change the
> font-family CSS to "sans-serif" and leave it, that might be a little
> better.  Then people that want it to be "Bitstream Vera Sans" can map
> their browser's sans-serif font to that using their browser's
> preferences, instead of having to hack in a CSS override manually.
>
> Though I've never used Opera, for example, so I don't know how easy it
> is to change which system font Opera uses to render sans-serif.  I have
> used Konqueror, but I never looked into that (and I don't have it
> installed anymore).  I know that in Mozilla and Firefox, it's as easy as
> opening the preferences, going to fonts, and selecting a different font
> family in the sans serif dropdown.
>
> This may make the default rendering slightly uglier if the user has not
> bothered to change the font that sans-serif maps to, but that's where
> the IE font size comment comes into the picture: IMO, it's much better
> to let the users change the font {family,size} in their browser than to
> fix the {family,size} to something that supposedly looks good, but not
> everybody wants, and isn't as easy to change.

You say you can't speak for me, but this is *exactly* my POV. :) Let the
people choose what they want their dafualt to be by sticking with
generics in the code.

--
Archaic

"Since there is no such entity as 'the public,' since the public is
merely a number of individuals, the idea that 'the public interest'
supersedes private interests and rights can have but one meaning: that
the interests and rights of some individuals take precedence over the
interests and rights of others."

- Ayn Rand