Hotplug and LFS Bootscript Changes (clash of opinion)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 17 12:46:44 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> Now, when the usbcore module is modprobe'd [or built in], it creates the
> /proc/bus/usb directory?  while the driver specific ones are for
> populating it?  As it stands, when we use mount -a -O no_netdev, it'll
> attempt to mount /proc/bus/usb if it is listed in fstab [in mountfs].

No, the /proc/bus/usb directory is always there (if /proc is mounted),
just empty. The problem with usbcore being a module is that:

mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb

will fail because the kernel won't have any clue about a filesystem
called "usbfs" without the module loaded.

However, at least for the 2.6 kernel, mounting a filesystem causes a
modprobe to be run, so putting:

alias usbfs usbcore

into /etc/modules.conf (or whatever it's called now, I don't use
modules) should suffice to get usbcore loaded if usbfs is mounted during
boot. Of course at that point usbcore is going to stay loaded during the
entire boot anyway, so having it be a module is not really accomplishing
anything, but this should still work properly.