Hotplug and LFS Bootscript Changes (clash of opinion)

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Mon May 17 14:23:15 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 12:58:56PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Actually, this wrong. /proc/bus/usb itself does not exist until usbcore
> is loaded, so the mount command I proposed may still not work even with
> usbcore getting automatically loaded; if the mount command checks the
> existence of the mountpoint before asking the kernel about the "usbfs"
> filesystem type then it will fail.

What possible reason could someone have for making their always needed
hardware a module? Build it in the kernel and forget about sounds the
easiest both to do and for the book to assume.

--
Archaic

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he
cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable
creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the
exertions of better men than himself.

- John Stuart Mill, writing on the U.S. Civil War in 1862