BuildingKernel

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 17 19:26:00 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> That's exactly true. If we can't build LFS-6.0 from LFS-5.1 (or LFS-5.0
> for that matter), then it shouldn't be LFS-6.0.

You _can_ build LFS-6.0 from LFS-5.1 or LFS-5.0. You just have to
upgrade your kernel, which people (our target audience) already do. If
they built LFS-5.0, are you expecting that they have never upgraded
their kernel beyond the 2.4.22 that was in that book?

Upgrading an existing host to run the 2.6 kernel is not at all
difficult, unless people (especially LFS users) are using a
configuration that absolutely _requires_ module support (like a strange
initrd or something). If they are using a configuration like that, they
are going to run into problems booting their new LFS system anyway,
unless they know how to deal with those issues. If they know how to deal
with those issues, they can upgrade their host to a (non-modular) 2.6
kernel.

In fact, upgrading their system to a 2.6 kernel before they start their
LFS build is actually a very good thing, IMHO, because they will find
out very early on whether their system has any trouble with the 2.6
kernel series. If it does, they did not waste their time building a
complete system only to find out they can't use it.

Finally, the availability of one or two (if not more) LFS-6.0 capable
boot CDs makes this even easier to deal with; if they don't want to
modify their host, they don't have to.