BuildingKernel

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon May 17 21:17:45 PDT 2004

jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

>On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 09:45:09PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>If this is the case, then specific kernel build instructions like those
>>in Chapter 8 need to be in the beginning of Chapter 5, or perhaps put
>>all the way forward to Chapter 4, Final Preparations.
>>

>I don't see why we need these at all.  There's already documentation on
>building the kernel available on TLDP.  LFS has always referred to
>existing documentation where applicable.

But LFS does have specific kernel build instructions in Chapter 8
already.  The only thing we don't cover is what selections to make
during the configure.  I'm just saying that these need to be brought
forward to where we are telling the user to first install a new kernel
(if necessary), just like we have the instructions for all the packages
in Chapter 5 also in Chapter 6.

  -- Bruce