BuildingKernel

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon May 17 22:36:01 PDT 2004

I've read this whole thread, and all it's branches.  There seems to be a
lot of confusion about getting to a built 2.6/ntpl system.  The
requirements are just:

1) To build a ntpl kernel you must have a 2.6 kernel ( ignoring the RH
patched 2.4 route).  Just a 2.6 kernel, nothing more.  So just a
minimalist build of an alternative-booted kernel without modules (even
it you normally use them) will suit most people to build it.  I did this
by building a minimal kernel-2.6.3 onto my LFS-CVS-about-Jan2004, and
booted it with grub manually.

2) Assuming the host is running gcc-3+ (e.g. LFS-5.0), once the system
is booted in Linux-2.6.3+ the whole of BE-LFS can be built on it.
Including udev, I think.

The only complication, on x86 at least, is if modules are needed to
boot.  In this case Module-Init-Tools needs to be installed and the
conversion script run to create a /etc/modprobe.conf file.  Booting of
both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels works fine.  Nothing in 2.4 breaks.

Now it seems to me that:

1)  Building a 2.6 kernel should be explained.  We need to do this so
that it doesn't break the host.

2)  Building Module-Init-Tools on the host should be explained as an
option for those who need it - it's trivial.

3)  A few notes on booting a temporary kernel should be included for
lilo and grub users.

And that's it.  No big deal.  Even I did it.

R.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/