modprobe usbcore in bootscripts

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Mon May 17 23:10:29 PDT 2004

> Nathan Coulson wrote:

>>>We must document this assumption if we do it. And there were voices on
>>>the list that we should not tell the user how to compile his own kernel,
>>>and therefore we must not make assumptions.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Alexander E. Patrakov
>>

>> if it helps any, proc, sys, fat, tmpfs would fail for the same reasons
>> if
>> you made them modules...  [unless they're named tmpfs.ko or something].
>
> No, because they are named by their names (except isofs.ko, which has
> alias iso9660). usbfs also has an alias named usbcore. The reason of
> failure is _not_ that the usbfs filesystem is not supported without the
> usbcore module, but that the /proc/bus/usb directory does not exist
> without this module.
>
> To make this clear, I give you two examples below. They assume that
> usbcore is a module.
>
> This succeeds (if /mnt/usbfs exists), and the module gets loaded:
>
>   mount -t usbfs usbfs /mnt/usbfs
>
> This fails if the module is not loaded:
>
>   mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
>
> I hope this helps you to understand the issue.
>
> To make things more complicated to you after that, note that kernel
> developers are not consistent. The /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc directory
> exists even if binfmt_misc is a module and is not loaded, therefore this
> command always succeeds and loads this module:
>
>   mount -t binfmt_misc binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
>
> --
> Alexander E. Patrakov

ok, so much for that idea...

I guess this boils down to, should we support people who have such
components as modules.  [shudders].  I guess it wouldn't hurt...

I still dont want to mount /proc/bus/usb outside of /etc/fstab, or after
mountfs though.  (and dont want to do it earlier, if it is not needed
before mountfs).