Next XML changes

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 18 02:31:04 PDT 2004

Archaic said the following on 18-05-2004 07:32:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:40:59PM -0400, Don Smith wrote:
>
>>Well, I agree with Bryan and Archaic, just specify sans-serif and let
>>the user agent pick the sans-serif font (and size) to use.
>

> Well there are at least 4 votes. :) Also, you might want to take into

Ok, I did it in <http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jeroen/less6.html>.
The problem which I now see, is that now the default rendering is not
good. In Mozilla (and I suspect in IE as well), the default font-size
for normal type is 16px and for monospace is 13px. Thus, the commands
are now very small. Specifying two font-types of the same family (like I
did with Bitstream, Luxi, Lucida, MS corefonts) solves that problem.

So, within the constraints you ask, I'd have to resort to specifying
font-size for monospace (eg. 1.3em), but this doesn't work for people
who don't use the default monospace font!

To make short: it is not possible to please everybody. It's a trade-off
of pleasing those who tweak their settings or those who surf with
defaults. I think the last group is larger, but a poll will find out.

I think I'm gonna let people choose which variant they like best:
less5.html or less6.html.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans