BuildingKernel

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 18 02:58:54 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley said the following on 18-05-2004 02:11:

> Udev is *NOT* experimental - I don't know where you get this idea.  For
> the next series of kernels (2.8), udev will be an absolute requirement,
> because the device numbers will be randomized.  And the host doesn't
> need to be running udev, it just needs the kernel to support it.

I don't care about the next series of kernels because it's *not* here
yet - 2.6 is and udev is *not* a requirement thus shouldn't be in LFS.

And here's how I get the idea that udev is "somewhat experimental":

* http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ suggests
that udev is not finished yet and that sysfs support is not complete yet.

* udev-025/README states:
"Things are still quite rough, but it should work properly. If nothing
seems to happen, make sure your build worked properly by running the
udev-test.pl script as root in the test/ subdirectory of the udev source
tree."

* most importantly, the included udev-025/HOWTO-udev_for_dev has the
following warning:

"NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
   This is completely unsupported.  Attempting to do this may cause your
   machine to be unable to boot properly.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Always
   have a rescue disk or CD handy to allow you to fix up any errors that
   may occur.
NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE"

--
Groeten/Greetings,