Next XML changes

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 19 00:07:47 PDT 2004

Don Smith said the following on 19-05-2004 05:37:

> You shouldn't be fighting the defaults just because many people don't
> change them. You should assume people will change them to suit their needs.

But shouldn't the book look good (whatever that means :-)) to those who
surf with defaults? You can still change them, and if you check "Always
use my fonts" (or similar), your settings will still apply.

To put it another way: why should people have to change *their* settings
to read the book in a comfortable way? The role of the designer is to
provide sensible defaults; that's what I'm trying to do.

<philosophizing>
The whole discussion is rather awkard; because the freedom you as a user
have with adjusting the appearance of the book is just as large as the
designer, yet you (you, Brian, Archaic, Bruce) don't want even the most
basic font-type specification in the stylesheet! The whole discussion
would be irrelevant for a printed book, and you wouldn't even have a
choice there. </philosophizing>

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans