BuildingKernel

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed May 19 11:16:15 PDT 2004

El Mié 19 May 2004 19:08 Brian Beattie escrbió:

> First let me note, that as a kernel hacker I can build a kernel, as an
> embeded system programmer I'm conservative and not up on all the ins and
> outs of the 2.6 kernel.  I'm just starting to run 2.6 on my personal
> machines (desktop, laptop and servers), the work machines will be 2.4
> for the forseeable future.

LFS isn't a distro, is a book explaining how a personalized Linux system can be
buided. You can use the book to build a desktop or a production machine if you
want (and under your responsability) but that isn't our goal.

> As I understand 6.0 will become the standard at some point, so arguments
> that anybody "stuck" on a 2.4 kernel should use 5.x would indicate to me
> that the target might be only current LFS users.

The target is user that want know how a current Linux system is build and how
work. For what you will use the created system is your decission. If you want
build a very stable server from LFS, use well know stable versions to do it.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia
Usuario de LFS nº 2886: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/