Proposal for testing branch

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 20 12:12:24 PDT 2004

"Matthew Burgess" <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:20040520194547.1b38f65d.matthew at linuxfromscratch.org...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:54:58 -0500
> "Larry Lawrence" <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't see any cons, but I'm sure they can be added to this thread
> > for discussion.
>
> Larry, please see my summary of the "Building Kernel" thread at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2004-May/045945.html.
> NPTL *will* be in 6.0
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

Please read what I said carefully -

"Second, it would allow a reasonable 6.0 branch to be developed if a release
is needed prior to implementing the new threading "

If you commit to NPTL prior to it being cross platform, I think your making
a mistake, however I am by no means demanding it to be so.  I'm proposing
that it does not go in testing right away. For what purpose is testing if
you don't introduce one major change at a time and test it.  By the time 6.0
comes up, everything could be a go.  If there are delays upstream, why trap
yourself into waiting for NPTL before you ever release 6.0 (or scrap the
cross platform support).

Larry