udev problems

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Fri May 21 15:31:15 PDT 2004

I think some people are against adding udev to the testing branch of LFS,
when the time comes for adding LFS 2.6.x, and I wanted to hear the
problems associated with it.

The lfs-bootscript development team has created a way for adding
{char,block,pipe} devices on bootup, via a configuration file at
/etc/sysconfig/createfiles [This was an addon to the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cleanfs script, and documented in the README file which
is part of recent versions of the LFS Bootscripts.  [since 2.0.3, or was
that .4...], if memory serves me correctly.]

If some external modules that are included do not yet support the /sys
interface which is what udev uses to create devices, I believe the
createfiles script can be used to finish the job.

What other problems do people have against UDEV being used within LFS
testing?

[just an example procedure of what happens with udev]
view the udev initscript in the 2.1.x branch of the bootscripts for actual
code
a) mount a ramfs on /dev
b) run udevstart, which populates /dev with any devices the kernel is
familiar with
c) createfiles is ran [later, in cleanfs], which can create any additional
files/directories/devices necessary.