udev problems

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri May 21 20:13:31 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> * Until I have seen evidence to the contrary, it's not stable enough for
> mainstream use (please respond to
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2004-May/045908.html)

<quote from there>

"NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE
    This is completely unsupported.  Attempting to do this may cause your
    machine to be unable to boot properly.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Always
    have a rescue disk or CD handy to allow you to fix up any errors that
    may occur.
NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE"

</quote>

I think the key word in all that is "may".

That said, how is this different from the normal disclaimer of warranty
that accompanies all GPL software that I know of?

Very little software is supported by its maintainers, so udev being
"completely unsupported" just brings it in line with stuff like glibc --
actually, glibc may even be worse, because you can't bring a problem up
on the glibc lists unless you're *ABSOLUTELY* sure you know what you're
talking about.  I would bet that the udev maintainer has a little more
tolerance, assuming you show you've done at least some homework --
though I don't know for sure.

Of course it may cause your machine to fail to boot properly -- you're
changing the way /dev works.  However, unless you as a user screw up or
don't know how to set up the minimal number of devices required (hence
the bootscript and instructions), there isn't much that will usually go
wrong.

Use at your own risk, yadda yadda yadda (see above: I use all software
at my own risk; it's part of the GPL).

Always have a rescue disk or CD handy -- well duh.  Do that anyway.

All in all, it looks to me like this guy's just trying to make sure that
his users have the ability to fix their system if they screw it up.  It
doesn't look to be a reflection of poor quality on the part of udev.

What are you looking for as your "evidence to the contrary", BTW?  A
statement from the developer saying there are no more bugs?  Yeah,
right.  ;-)  There have been reports from a couple of people who say
using it causes no issues for them already...