udev problems

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 22 02:44:37 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban said the following on 22-05-2004 05:13:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> * Until I have seen evidence to the contrary, it's not stable enough
>> for mainstream use (please respond to
>> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2004-May/045908.html)
>>
> What are you looking for as your "evidence to the contrary", BTW?  A
> statement from the developer saying there are no more bugs?  Yeah,
> right.  ;-)  There have been reports from a couple of people who say
> using it causes no issues for them already...

So far, I've only been offered anecdotical evidence. I would be very
happy with any of the following:
* some mainstream distro's offering it as an install/upgrade option
* the maintainer stating it should be the preferred default for machines
to handle /dev (instead of the non-ambiguous warnings)
* the kernel folks exhibiting so much trust in it that they make it a
requirement (not gonna happen until 2.8 at the earliest)

LFS has never been bleeding edge; it just used the latest stable release
of a package if available. I don't see any reason to change that now,
especially not to serve desktop use. That would be narrowing of our
focus and target/intended audience. We're producing a book, not a distro.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans