udev problems

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sat May 22 05:53:12 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> So far, I've only been offered anecdotical evidence. I would be very
> happy with any of the following:
> * some mainstream distro's offering it as an install/upgrade option

Do you consider Gentoo mainstream?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

It's an option for anybody that wants to follow that.  They have worked
on their own init script, to make sure that all required devices are
available, but when there are only 2 of them (/dev/zero and /dev/console
are mentioned) required to get udev started, that's not extremely
difficult.  After that, the only requirement is that all your kernel
drivers that register a character or block device send hotplug events.

The recommended action is also to keep devfs mounted (but devfsd will
not run), to give access to a couple of "saved" device nodes somehow --
I'm not sure what they are, or how "saved" is defined, but I think it's
talking about the way devfs can copy manually-created device nodes into
another directory tree, and then the init scripts restore them after a
reboot.  Using udev would mean that they get restored into the udev
tree.