Layout and design of the book

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat May 22 08:47:59 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:59:41AM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> It's for increasing readability and legibility. Why does everyone here
> prefer to read condensed text which fills each page left to right? It
> makes very dull pages and causes strain on the eyes.

Because what you are missing is that many of us are NOT marketing types
and such drivel as designbyfire is for marketing types. Our definition
of efficiency is how much info can we get in a given space. The plain
gray background took the experienced right where they wanted to go. We
don't need a colorful user-friendly interface to a book because we
aren't lemmings shelling out cash to buy drivel from a colorful website.

Remember who used (and some still do) the blink tag. :)

> Also, there already was a long discussion about this very issue; please
> read the archives.

No fair! We called for a new thread to hopefully get more opinions and
now you are saying read the threads they didn't want to read in the
first place. Let's keep the playing field even, please.

--
Archaic

The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any
member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to
others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient
warrant.

- John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty", 1859